Hey there healthy foodie friends! I met a new friend recently at the gym, Barbara. She is an inspiration, having lost almost 100 pounds and is going strong. I’m so impressed by her tenacity, joyous spirit, sense of humor and determination!!!
As I’ve had the pleasure to know her better as she had shared her story with me, I discovered that Barbara is in the process of writing her very first cookbook where she will be sharing many of the delicious and nutrition recipes that helped her shed her weight while staying strong and NOT hungry! I love it! And guess what?
Today Barbara has shared one of her favorite salads with us as a “guest chef” here at Cannon Cross Coaching, and it is a pleasure to give you the recipe here for her famous “Barbara’s Broccoli Salad”. It’s fantastic as a side dish, or you could add your favorite proteins to make it a full meal! Perfect for taking along to a BBQ or picnic (think Labor Day)! Not only is it simple, healthy and quick to make, but it’s one of those great dishes that you can also make ahead for lunches/dinners.
Barbara’s Broccoli Salad
2 lbs. broccoli florets
1/2 cup olive oil
5-8 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3-4 tablespoons soy sauce (i use low-sodium)
- Boil broccoli florets in a large pot of salted water for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain broccoli and spread out on a cookie sheet to cool and dry.
- In a small pot add olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, heat until garlic starts to simmer.
- Remove from heat to cool for five minutes. When cool, remove garlic and smash with a fork and return to oil.
- When broccoli is dried place it in a large bowl, and add soy sauce and garlic olive oil – mix well.
- Salad can be served hot, room temperature or cold.
- Store in refrigerator.